It is the policy of Amélie Housing to accommodate tenants with their pets where possible. This policy applies to all staff, contractors, applicants, tenants and key stakeholders of Amélie Housing. It also applies to companion animals, therapy animals, any restricted animals and prospective pets entering Amélie Housing properties.

Pets Policy

Written permission must be sought by the tenant.  Amélie Housing will give approval to keep a single pet unless the size, type and behaviour of the pet would be inappropriate for the property.  Permission for keeping multiple animals is not automatic and will be decided on a case by case basis.

Wear and tear on the property caused by the tenant’s pet is the tenant’s responsibility.  Pet damage is not normal wear and tear.  This applies to both the internal and external areas of the property.

The keeping of animals without permission from Amélie Housing is a breach of lease conditions. Action will be taken if a breach is made resulting in termination of lease or request for instant removal of the animal from the premises.

If the pet results in the tenant breaching his/her agreement in any way (noise, damage and nuisance), an alternative home for pet may be required to resolve the breach.

All pets must be kept in accordance with all required legislation, including microchipping, and de-sexing.

Any suspicion of cruelty to pets or animal neglect will be referred to the relevant authority such as the RSPCA.

To understand more about animal cruelty, owner responsibility and what to do if animal cruelty is suspected, visit the RSPCA Website.

Restricted Animals

Under no circumstances are restricted animals to be housed in Amélie Housing. For NSW, more information on restricted dogs can be found on the NSW Office of Local Government Website.

Information on restricted animals in South Australia can be found on the Dog and Cat Board website, with a list of prescribed dogs with restrictions.

Complaints and Appeals

If a tenant is not satisfied with a service provided by Amélie Housing or does not agree with a decision it has made, they can ask for a formal review. To do this, the tenant can complete a review of decision form.

Details on how to make a complaint, provide feedback or lodge an appeal are found in Amélie Housing Complaints and Appeals policy.

Additional Information for Tenants in NSW

If a tenant is unhappy with the outcome of an appeal to Amélie Housing, they can lodge an appeal Housing Appeals Committee. The Housing Appeals Committee is an independent agency that reviews certain decisions made by the staff of Community Housing organisations and Housing NSW. For information on the Housing Appeals Committee call 1800 629 794 or go to

Download Policy